Wednesday 28 October 2020

Artist Soul Retreat

Artist Soul Retreat was a set of three free classes by French artist Laly Mille. She took us through creating a mood board, then using that to make four mini mixed media abstract landscapes, and finally to create an abstract mixed media canvas. It was an intensive few days, but I learned so much from it.

This is my mood board. I've never made one of these before, but it was a very useful tool. I used magazine images, patterned paper, music and old book pages. I also added a teabag, piece of gauze, corrugated card and dress-making paper pattern, which aren't shown here.


Using the colours, textures and patterns from my mood board, I created these four 6x6" abstract landscapes.


Here's a slightly closer look at each one.





And finally, I created this 12x10" canvas. I didn't intend on using pink, but it's growing on me! I may have to do another one with the bolder colours from my mood board. I love the random word Pantomime from a piece of music paper, that showed through the drips in the top right corner.




I'm linking up to Chris' Hold The Line theme at Art Journal Journey.

I'm looking forward to exploring these techniques more. 

Thank you so much for visiting,

Alison xox

13 comments:

  1. Wow, what amazing artwork! The moodboard inspired some beautiful pieces, the landscape colours and designs are gorgeous 😁. The canvas is stunning too, love the pink with the other colours and the sparkle from the gold! I hope you plan to hang it on the wall, it's gorgeous! Wishing you a happy week and enjoy exploring those new techniques. Take care! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great moodboard love the fabulous landscapes and brilliant canvas-looks like you had fun
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Alison I'm so pleased to have seen these on a large screen.They really are all so beautiful, I am so happy too that you shared them for my theme at Art Journal Journey, Thank you! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting mood board, wonderful abstracts and gorgeous canvast. Love the soft color palette.
    Have a nice day ahead xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the first to the last a fascinating work of yours
    this canvas collage is awesome, i love your art and all the other types!
    All the best and take care of yourself, hug Elke

    ReplyDelete
  6. This class seems amazing. Love your mood board as well as the pieces you created Alison. The colors you pick are always amazing. Hope you are safe and well. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great lesson. I love the four landscapes, especially the boats in the harbour and then the canvas is so different from what I imagined you creating. I love the colour of the pink and the turquoise together. It is so pretty and peaceful, reminds me of summer and cheers me up on this wet rainy day I am sitting in.
    Hugs, Neet xx.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Wow! The abstract landscapes are wonderful. Love your canvas. Fabulous artwork Ali. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I signed up for those classes, but by the time I got back online, they had disappeared. Looks like I missed out on a LOT. Your moodboard is wonderful and I especially LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the series of four squares. Then your canvas is amazing. I like the partitions and how each is slightly different. Thanks for sharing these with us at Art Journal Journey using Chris's theme, too, dear Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are just beautiful. The colors are beachy and so pretty. Well done indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely loved this taster course catching 10 minutes here and there in between busy days. There's so much that can be taken from every step of the way I know it helped me tweak a few things in my way of thinking. Your arty creations ooze the love you had working alongside Laly. Mood boards are something I was taught at college with textiles, I have a flip book I add all sorts of collections and textures too, amazing how colour schemes change over the years and then come back again. I'm so glad you added the pink, it's not a go to colour of mine either but doesn't it give your canvas a happy hug. You must be so pleased with it all Alison.. Makes me want to happy dance YAY!! Hugs Tracey xx Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I love these!!! Super well done and totally inspiring. I am going to have to find a course to take! Really great post. Hugz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop here. I love to hear what you think, every comment is very much appreciated.