Monday 16 September 2019

Birgit's Gel Printing Challenge - Week Two

Hi Everyone! Here are some of my gel prints for week two of Birgit Koopsen's Instagram challenge.

Day 8 - Pastels & Chalks. I used Pan Pastels. These do stain the gel plate a little, but it's not a problem.


Day 9 - Stencils


Day 10 - Pigment Ink Pads. I used Distress Oxides.


Day 11 - Multiple Layers. I used stamps with Stazon ink, paint pens, and acrylic paint.



Day 12 - Repeat Patterns. Birgit showed us how to create texture rollers, using cardboard tubes with various items glued onto them - sequin waste, wall-paper, burlap, foam shapes. Then you just need to find a small paint roller they fit onto. The red and turquoise print below was made using plastic cake packaging.



Day 13 - Multi Media. I built up layers on my gel plate with alcohol ink, archival ink stamping, Pan Pastel, Posca Paint Pens, Krylon Gold Leaf Pen, and acrylic paint to pull the print.


Day 14 - Texture. I made some texture plates, using texture paste through stencils and pressing stamps etc. into it to create interesting texture. I also made texture plates by spreading a thick layer of crackle paste onto one piece of board, and bead gel onto another.



I hope these prints have inspired you to do some mono-printing. If you haven't got a gel plate, you could try using a plastic or acetate sheet, acrylic block, smooth tile, or basically anything that doesn't soak the paint up.

Alison xox

9 comments:

  1. Wow, these are all fantastic, you really achieved a lot, well done. Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fabulous Alison! I need to spend a day making some prints, my pile is getting low. I think your pile has been restocked with these beauties. I think they all came out fantastic. You used great colors and patterns. I have never tried making them with pastels. Do you need to spray them to keep them from smudging? Happy new week. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant selection of backgrounds love them all
    carol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooo, all that glorious color and pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you shared how you made these, Alison. I wish I had the same affection for my gelli you have for yours. You pulled some gorgeous prints. I didn't know you could use stamping ink (Staz-on) on your gelli plate. And don't the pan pastels need some fixative after you pull a print? Regardless, these are fabulous. It's about now that I would LOVE to be on Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous pages Alison, I think you are tempting me to look out my gelli plate again.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so many beautiful and varied prints! My favourites are the 11, 12 and 14 with the layers, repeating patterns and textures that you created - amazing 😀. I hope you are having a great week too! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such fantastic prints, Alison - I love the stencils one, and the lovely mixed media prints - amazing to see what a variety of paints and inks and media can be used.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have really enjoyed seeing your gelli prints! Chrisxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop here. I love to hear what you think, every comment is very much appreciated.